Every year Jeremie and I sit down and write up a plan of action. A to-do list for the year. Putting our goals down on paper is supposed to keep us motivated to keep on keeping on. This past year so many of the to-do items started off with “Fix….” or “Repair….” It seems repairing things to keep this place running is a full time job. I suppose it’s inevitable, what with 5 times the normal population, using and abusing things 😉 But in this first week of the new year, we actually got one of our items checked off our to-do list (albeit from last year, ha!). Jeremie designed and Tommy built an automatic waterer for the rabbits. Jeremie will have to do a post with all the specifics. But I know that this project involved a stock tank heater, a toilet valve, pvc and a recycled (upcycled?) cooler. The water is continuously flowing through the pipe, so there is no danger of it freezing. Each cage has a metal nipple for the rabbits to drink out of. During “not freezing temps” we will be able to hook a hose up to the cooler so it will be automatically refilled. For now we simply refill the cooler. But that supply of water lasts quite a long time. Tommy also had to build a wooden shelf to hold the cooler of water. That thing gets pretty heavy when it’s full. Sure beats bringing in the old rabbit water bottles that used to hang on their cages and defrosting them in the sink and hauling them back out, only to find them frozen again a couple hours later. It’s so handy having an engineer/handy man for a husband and a handyman/engineer for a son!
So I went to a poultry seminar and the one presenter had a stat that said people who write down their goals are better off.
So Molly and I wrote down our goals. We put some of my goals on the calendar to accomplish in Feb. I was working on things a week ahead of when I was supposed to. Then we got snow and rain which made it impossible to do the work on those goals because they were all outside things. So now it is March and I am a month behind.
My pasture was supposed to get seeded but there were inches of snow. Now the snow is finally gone and the almanac says I am in the barren days. So now I have to wait another week. Hopefully some of the seed will eventually get in the ground and actually grow.
I think this will be what I make Molly’s compost tea brewer like.
they develop all sorts of problems.
I tested the spark on the tractor with Benjamin’s help. It was non-existant. I went to Kough Equipment and bought all the stuff to rebuild the distributor. Put it all on with Tommy’s help. Still no spark. I should have bought a new coil while I was there.
When I parked the tractor, there was nothing wrong with the spark. Sitting out in the elements for a year without being run is not good for mechanical things. So now I get to fix the spark so that I can try and get anything else fixed that may be wrong.
I went back to Kough and bought the coil today. Hopefully tomorrow I will get it installed.
Time to replace it. I love mechanical things. They break and then I get to fix them. I have nothing better to do.
one less thing on the todo list
The kids helped me paint the long side a couple weeks ago.
I woke up early on Memorial day and decided to finish painting it.
The long side took 5 gallons, which is why I did not finish the front right away. I had to go to the store and buy 5 more gallons. The front took about 2.5 gallons. Old weathered wood really sucks up the paint.
I think it looks great.
Right now this list is in no particular order. I will add them as I think of them, or as new ones pop up.
- Be a godly man.(will be on the list forever)
- Be a good husband. (will be on the list forever)
- Be a good father (will be on the list forever)
- Be a good neighbor (will be on the list forever)
- Finish my engineering projects on time. (on going)
- Garden Mulch. – Just about done. 2014-05-28 (will need a topping each year, but the bulk is done)
- Orchard Mulch
- Garden Extension Mulch
- Change Coolant in Tractor
- Change Oil in Tractor
- Change Transmission fluid in Tractor
- Bush hog fields.
- Get air filter for white Yamaha ATV YMF80
- Fix rear brakes on white Yamaha ATV YMF80
- Get air filter for blue Yamaha ATV YMF80
- Fix front brakes on blue Yamaha ATV YMF80
- Fix front brakes on Honda TRX200D
- Fix rear brakes on Honda TRX200D
- Fix Right Front Caliper on White Ford Van
- Replace rear brake pads on White Ford Van
- Replace spark plugs and wires on White Ford Van.
- Seal Greenhouse.
- Get architecture for new house squared away.
- Get Straw for winter bedding
- Fix PB equipment
- Fix rear hand brake on Honda ATV TRX350D
- Fix front brakes on Honda ATV TRX350D
Fix ignition coil on Honda ATV
- Fix brake switch on Kids ATV
- Fix carbs on kids atv’s
Sight in rifles for deer hunting Get dent out of mower deck.
- Fix Red Van and Sell
Fix electric fence to keep hogs in Move bathrm cabinet for more storage space Remove Head from Tractor Get Parts for Tractor Get tractor engine head ground smooth Paint Tractor Engine Head Put Tractor Engine back together
- Purchase and Install Golf Cart Batteries
Fix white van brakes Fix white van ball joints Get white van wheel alignment Get white van transmission filter changed and fluid
- White van oil change 05-06-2014 92000 miles
- Fix flatbed trailer axle
Put on New front Gate – Sanded and Painted 05-28-2014 Put on front gate elec opener Register South Polls
- Cabinets in eating area
Bush hog @ Charle’s Fix Green House Windown
- Green house east wall – make glass
- Green house tables
- winterize waterers
- Swingset ladder
- Cut up downed trees
- Fix perimeter fence where trees wrecked it.
- Chicken coop light on timer
Assemble Tack Shed Kit Tack Shed Caulk
- Tack Shed Paint
Tack Shed Shingle
- Pig Shelter for winter
front swing pulleys for zipline
- organize workshop
- build front wall of workshop – Started 2014-07
Clean out barn Computer for friends Cement board on horse shelter
- Back fill against horse shelter
- Fence to horse shelter
- Roof on horse shelter
- siding on horse shelter
- Make pond in east paddock
propane cooker hookup
- Food storage solution
- horse trailer straighten
- horse trailer paint
horse trailer lights
- Fix large riding mower
- fix Kubota riding mower
- Fix 1949 Dodge Truck
- Fix all the stuff that is broken or breaks.
- Fix apple cider press
- water trench to orchard
- fix chicken coop door
- trench electric to pond
- trench electric to horse shelter
Castrate Piglets Band Joseph
- Rabbit Waterers
- Solar System
- Get Anniversary Edition version of Axis and Allies
- Read rules for AE A&A
- Find some friends to play A&A
Plant blueberries and grape Acquire Jersey bull calf Get bessy to take jersey bull calf Take first Guinea Hog to slaughter Put up deer stand